REVIEW: Malicious Compliance & Instant Regret by EM Lindsey (Loose Lips Sink Ship Duet)
MALICIOUS COMPLIANCE
&
INSTANT REGRET
Loose Lips Sink Ships Duet
by EM Lindsey
Release Date: December 14, 2022
Review
I am not shy about my love of EM Lindsey. I have read/listened to 17 this year! They can draw emotion from me like no other. (I mean their last release Double Play had me sobbing in the first chapter!) So I have to say I think this duet may be my favourite of their work! It was stunning, well crafted, and felt warm and comforting like a cup of English tea.
This duet features two men who have been broken, they both know what’s it like to feel the world closing around them. And when they find themselves living beside each other they find themselves at odds.
Each book is a single POV, and though I normally don’t love that, because I feel like I’m always missing really getting to know and understand the second person, this duet solves that problem by giving each guy their own book. It was a fascinating way to uncover their story. The books intertwine, and they are each absolutely beautiful.
Book One is the gorgeous story of Jules, young and a talented cellist who’s returned to New York with nothing but his cello, after being cast aside by his older lover.
He has a distant sister and a cold uncle to welcome him home to a basement apartment that probably has mould and definitely has no heat. And a neighbour who is not shy about not wanting him there. It’s a cold and lonely place to be.
But a funny thing happens, the more time you spend ‘with’ someone, you start to connect, find a connection, and you start to feel something. Feel for this man who once drove you crazy, but now gives you comfort.
Jules’ story is one of bravery and finding your own purpose. I made it 50% of the way through before the tears came. Trust me it was touching, and just wrapped its way around my heart.
-
Book Two gives us Forrest, the mysterious man on the other side of the wall. A man who’s been knocked down, left reeling. Who finds comfort in the peach and quiet of his space. So he’s gruff and cranky when the young, sad man moves in next door. Breaking him out of his own thoughts and routine.
He has his best friend and brother and that’s all he needs. He definitely doesn’t need Jules making him feel things. Making him want things.
For all his gruffness, he’s also kind and patient.
Forrest’s story is one of peace and finding your own strength, when once you thought it was lost.
But of course, both books are also about love and finding that person that gives you a home. Their happy ever after was comforting and lovely, and absolutely perfect for them. I feel like this will become a comfort read of mine.
Add to your TBR List
Malicious Compliance GOODREADS LINK
&
Malicious Compliance Synopsis
My life is good. I work from home, I answer to no one, and I pay my rent on time. In short, things are peaceful and solitary—exactly the way I like them. Yes, my apartment might be a dump with paper-thin walls and plumbing issues, but it’s mine all the same.
And then he moves in.
I didn’t ask for this new neighbor with all his furniture rearranging and obnoxious cello playing at all hours of the night. Who cares that he’s ridiculously hot and always has a smile on? That doesn’t mean he should get away with disturbing my peace.
All I want is for him to move out, but my landlord—who also happens to be my obnoxious older brother—tells me I have to play nice.
I suppose I can try. After all, there’s nothing wrong with a little malicious compliance.
Malicious Compliance is the first in a romantic MM duet featuring enemy neighbors to lovers, high heat, low angst, a stray cat who refuses to leave, a series of bad dates, and the steamiest of happily ever afters.
Instant Regret Synopsis
There’s nothing like having your sanctuary destroyed.
My life has been a series of carefully cultivated, strategic moves to ensure peace and quiet. I’m generally a happy guy but there’s one thing I can’t stand: having my space invaded. After all, that's why I chose this run-down building that no one wants to live in.
And then he moved in.
The obnoxious, arrogant classical musician who spent his first night banging on the wall and insulting my playlist.
But as much as it’s been fun driving him up the wall, I start to see the cracks in his holier-than-thou demeanor—which I suppose is impressive for a blind man.
Something about his life is more tragic than I want to think about, and it doesn’t take more than a few kind words to get him to open up.
Where I once wanted to torment him until he moved out, now all I can think about is how he’d feel in my arms. I’m not sure if he’s willing to give me a chance after everything I’ve done, but this Christmas, I have hope.
And this New Year’s Eve—if luck is on my side—I’ll be ringing it in with the one man I will never let go.
Instant Regret is the second book of the holiday duet featuring a smartass woodworker, a tired best friend, a wooing plan with deep enough cracks you could see through to the core of the earth, and the sweetest, steamiest happily ever after. Malicious Compliance and Instant Regret must be read in order.
About EM Lindsey
E.M. Lindsey is a bisexual, agender gay romance writer currently living in the S.E. United States. They're a full-time writer, Classics scholar with a penchant for Ancient Greek, and an avid collector of shoes they will never wear. When they're not found creating happy endings on their laptop, they're either walking their dogs, going on hikes, or enjoying their new home.
Where to find them:
Website | Facebook | Goodreads | Amazon | Instagram | BookBub | Facebook Group | Newsletter
Comments
Post a Comment